Although the prices for cloud storage services aren’t very high, still, a lot of people is looking for free cloud storage providers and that’s why in this article I’ll present you one of the best storage providers available on the market, Dropbox.
Dropbox – Your files, anywhere
For those of you who don’t know what is Dropbox and how it works, here’s the short intro: you create an account on the Dropbox site, then you download the client application and install it on your PC and it will create a folder where you can store the files. All the files you put there will be automatically synced and uploaded on the Dropbox servers so you can access them anytime and share them with others. To create an account, visit the dropbox site.
Without any doubts, this is one of the best cloud storage providers existing on the market. Dropbox is a free service that allows you to store files online and access them anywhere and it’s used by more than 50 million people worldwide.
There are a couple of nice features that make Dropbox the No.1 free storage solution for many users, and here they are:
- You can access the stored files from anywhere, both in browser and on your PC
- It offers 2GB free space, and you could get even up to 16GB by referring other users
- Dropbox works with Windows and Mac systems, and also with mobile devices, like iPad, iPhone, Android or BlackBerry
- Since a copy of the files is saved locally on your PC, you can access the files anytime, even if you’re not connected to the internet
- When it updates the files, Dropbox doesn’t transfer the whole thing, it only copies the part of the file that has changed. This is great because it saves bandwidth and time, and also, for better bandwidth management, it also set the limits automatically, so it won’t overload your connection
Another thing everybody loves about Dropbox is the easiness of sharing the files with other people.
- You can invite your family, friends or co-workers to have access to a specific folder. And when you modify the files (add, change, delete) this will automatically update on their PCs also
- When a file is modified, Dropbox will notify you about this change instantly
- Another nice feature is the option to create photo galleries that you can share with whoever you want
- Also, there is a Public folder in the Dropbox account and you can send the link to whoever you want. Being in the public folder, anyone can access that file, without the need of having shared access to your files
- Dropbox can easily integrate with mobile devices with apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and BlackBerry.
- You can easily upload photos and videos to Dropbox and you can edit the files from your phone
Your files are safe
- The stored files are encrypted using AES-256
- All the changes you make to the files can be undone and you can undelete files
For those that need more than 2GB of storage and want to access more features, you can upgrade your account to Pro 50 or Pro 100, at $9.99 or $19.99 per month.